2022 Boston Marathon - Course NCOC Update #1

KB1KQW
BAA Comms Committee

2022 Boston Marathon - Course NCOC Update #1

Post by KB1KQW »

Once again, thanks for volunteering as part of the Amateur Radio communications team at the 2022 Boston Marathon! As a reminder, if you are receiving this note, you have been assigned to the COURSE NET CONTROL OPERATIONS CENTER communications team. The following message contains important information about your assignment and other assignments along the course.

You should have received an e-mail from the BAA and their vendor "CrowdPass" to verify your COVID Vaccination Status this year. This is required of all volunteers, and they are looking to have everyone's information verified by April 6th. If you have not received this message, or are having difficulty with your verification, please let me know ASAP so we can work on resolving these issues for you.

We have released the Course and NCOC Segment Communication Plans and posted them to the documentation tab at hamradioboston.org. While there are not many significant operational changes to the course documentation this year, I still encourage you to review these plans and other documentation at your earliest convenience to best prepare for your assignment. We have also posted a Commercial Radio System User Guide for those volunteers that may be issued a commercial radio on the BAA's rental system. We are still revising a Course-specific NCOC communications plan and will have that sent to you by e-mail later this week. Finally, the Course Station List which includes specific locations and frequencies for each assignment is still being finalized as there have been a few location changes and I hope to have that posted by the end of this week at the latest, along with any other outstanding materials.

Please note that at the request of the BAA and our public safety partners, our documents are once again not for public release this year. We kindly ask that you not post them on forums or distribute to people who are not amateur radio volunteers for the 2022 Marathon.

For additional training, we have posted several videos to hamradioboston.org from one of our previous training sessions and these videos remain relevant this year. If you need instructions on how to access this material, please let me know. All of this material will assist you with preparing for your assignment on race day.

Also on the training front, we are hosting a virtual town hall webinar on Thursday, April 7, 2022 from 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM.. This will be an opportunity to hear from all segment leaders as well as ask any questions that you may have. We plan to record the session for those who are unable to attend. I encourage you to participate in the conversation if you are able to do so, and will be providing you with the webinar details in the next day or two.

Assignments are nearly completed and will be posted to you by e-mail later this evening.

If you are interested in connecting with other volunteers or looking for another venue to pass along questions, we have forums setup at the HamRadioBoston.org site that you can log into. There are threads set up for Course and NCOC assignments. If you are a returning volunteer, your password stayed the same as last year -- if you've forgotten your password, you can use the "forgot password" option to reset it. If you are a new volunteer, your account has been created with your callsign as your username. You will need to use the "forgot password" option to set your password.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns leading up to race day, either through the forum or at kb1kqw@hamradioboston.org. Also, if your availability has changed, please be sure to let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing us at contact@hamradioboston.org. In order to answer everyone’s question in time for race day, make sure to contact us before 6pm on Sunday, April 17.

I know the race is only a couple of short weeks away, but we're all looking forward to another successful event this year. The next coordination message is planned for this coming weekend. Thanks again for all that you have done to support the BAA, and I look forward to working with you all on April 18!

Jim Palmer – KB1KQW
BAA Communications Committee
Course Amateur Radio Segment Coordinator / Team Captain
Jim-KB1KQW
Course Segment Coordinator
BAA Communications Committee Member