Programming radio with CHIRP

K1WMT

Programming radio with CHIRP

Post by K1WMT »

I always get nervous that I have programmed my radio correctly, since I'm nowhere near the net that I'll be using to test it in. I've done it correctly twice before, I think I've done it correctly, just want to make sure since I can't test 'till show time. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I found my frequencies for my station. From the frequency spreadsheet (this is not the question, it's the data):
C7.W (Zone 7 West), rx 146.820, rx tone: CSQ, tx 146.220, tx tone 146.2, analogue.
This means there is a -600 hz offset between rx and tx.

I have a Yaesu DT-70R HT.

Here is my question, The CHIRP settings:

In chirp, I am setting the columns as follows:
Frequency 146.820
Tone Mode: Tone (A single CTCSS tone is transmitted, receive squelch is open or carrier triggered)
Tone: 146.2
Duplex: -
Offset: 0.600
I set power on Hi, assigned a label to the channel. Everything else I left alone. Do I have this correct?

Second Example:
C1.C (Course Wide logistics) 146.790, rx tone 146.2, tx 146.190
In chirp:
Frequency 146.790
Tone Mode: TSQL
Tone: 146.2
Duplex: -
Offset: 0.600

The online CHIRP manual says that for TSQL mode: "A single CTCSS tone is transmitted, receive squelch is tone-coded to the same tone. The tone used is that which is set in the ToneSql column." This is the function I want, but there is no "ToneSQL" column on CHIRP for this radio. All the columns for this radio are being displayed. I think I've set it correctly, the manual seems misleading. Am I correct?

I attached a screen shot.
73 and THANKS!
Bill
K1WMT
Attachments
See memory locations 60 and 61
See memory locations 60 and 61
image_2021-10-05_225711.png (100.16 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Bill Tarkulich
K2CAS

Re: Programming radio with CHIRP

Post by K2CAS »

Hi Bill,

The first example given, your settings are correct.

As for the Second, please confirm that you're seeing all the Columns. I know you mentioned it, but double check by going to View -> Columns -> Ensure everything is checked, including ToneSql. You want to ensure the ToneSql is set to 146.2 Hz. The important thing here is to ensure you're hitting the repeater with the correct tone. Worst case scenario would be to change it the Tone Mode to Tone. The repeater will pick up your transmission and you'll hear everything as receiving will be CSQ.
Carlos, K2CAS
K1WMT

Post by K1WMT »

I was careful to check before I posted.
Attached is what I'm seeing. Two screen shots, second is from the top, first is scrolled down to bottom.
Attachments
bottom of list
bottom of list
Screenshot 2021-10-05 232811 2.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 590 times
top of list
top of list
Screenshot 2021-10-05 232717 1.jpg (30.85 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Bill Tarkulich
K2CAS

Post by K2CAS »

That's very interesting indeed. Curious as to what version you're running. It could be a Yaseu radio thing, perhaps one of the other hams may have the same radio you have.

Curious, if you download the CSV file from the other forum thread, and then Open, do you see it then? If so, it may be your radio.
Carlos, K2CAS
K1BTZ

Post by K1BTZ »

Check in the General forum, where someone posted a CHIRP file with all of the marathon stations. You can load that in CHIRP and then copy the rows you want (or all of them) to your radio's chirp settings.
K1WMT

Post by K1WMT »

Thank you both!
Bill Tarkulich