Non-Waterproof Radio

KC2RUM

Non-Waterproof Radio

Post by KC2RUM »

Hello, all,

First time volunteer, here.

Any tips from experienced operators on how to help waterproof our portable radios in the field while minimizing interference or quality of Rx/Tx? Also, while keeping hands free as much as possible?

Can we wear ponchos on top of our jackets and keep credentials hanging outside?

Please don’t reply saying to get a waterproof radio or case. Looking for alternative / backup options.

Thanks,
Victor
KC2RUM
KB1ZJO

Re: Non-Waterproof Radio

Post by KB1ZJO »

Hey Victor,

I have a couple of non-waterproof Yaesus and have done a couple things to keep them dry in the rain. First, I layer them in a couple of sandwich bag ponchos and try to minimize the openings for antenna, mic, earpiece, etc. If you want to get all fancy about it, you might find a waterproof electronics bag that will work.

Next, if I'm using an aftermarket increased gain antenna that doesn't fit perfectly, I will use a neoprene washer (pretty much any hardware store) around the SMA connector on the radio to help keep out water. This will obviously vary by radio but it works ok on my FT-60's...better than nothing, anyway.

Your BAA supplied jacket has to be visible in the start area, so if you're going to wear a poncho, it will have to be clear. I heard something about some being supplied and a couple of volunteers have discussed having extra but best to bring your own if you can. Keeping your radio under a poncho would also go a long way to keeping it dry.

It's a bit of trial and error. You want to keep the radio wrapped up and covered up but keep the antenna away from your body and not underneath a lot of clothing.

(no snarkiness intended here) If you plan on doing lots of outdoor events, I do think investing in a waterproof radio makes sense. Too many rainy events worrying about my radios made the decision for me. If you don't do many events, baggies and duct tape are a pretty solid alternative.

Hope that helps! Stay dry!

-Jim KB1ZJO
WB1ARU

Post by WB1ARU »

Last year there were clear plastic ponchos issued. I brought my own - also clear plastic. I am planning to put my radio in a ziplock bag, as last year it failed due to getting wet.
KC2RUM

Post by KC2RUM »

Thank you, Jim and WB1ARU! Super helpful. I did end up jury rigging a sandwich bag with small hole setup. Sadly, my water-resistant Yaesu is no longer going to be available so I am down to my Baofeng BF-F8HP.

Any recommendations (for the future) for a good water-resistant digital radio?

Thanks again,
Victor
KC2RUM
KB1ZJO wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:35 Hey Victor,

I have a couple of non-waterproof Yaesus and have done a couple things to keep them dry in the rain. First, I layer them in a couple of sandwich bag ponchos and try to minimize the openings for antenna, mic, earpiece, etc. If you want to get all fancy about it, you might find a waterproof electronics bag that will work.

Next, if I'm using an aftermarket increased gain antenna that doesn't fit perfectly, I will use a neoprene washer (pretty much any hardware store) around the SMA connector on the radio to help keep out water. This will obviously vary by radio but it works ok on my FT-60's...better than nothing, anyway.

Your BAA supplied jacket has to be visible in the start area, so if you're going to wear a poncho, it will have to be clear. I heard something about some being supplied and a couple of volunteers have discussed having extra but best to bring your own if you can. Keeping your radio under a poncho would also go a long way to keeping it dry.

It's a bit of trial and error. You want to keep the radio wrapped up and covered up but keep the antenna away from your body and not underneath a lot of clothing.

(no snarkiness intended here) If you plan on doing lots of outdoor events, I do think investing in a waterproof radio makes sense. Too many rainy events worrying about my radios made the decision for me. If you don't do many events, baggies and duct tape are a pretty solid alternative.

Hope that helps! Stay dry!

-Jim KB1ZJO
KD2FJB

Post by KD2FJB »

KC2RUM wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 16:04Any recommendations (for the future) for a good water-resistant digital radio?
Motorola Solutions APX 7000 dual band (VHF and UHF R1) or APX 8000.